18.7.14

Mykonos, Greece


I wish I could say that over the past years of living overseas we significantly shortened our 'Bucket List.' This pesky little thing seems to happen once you start traveling . . . for every new place we visit, we somehow add about three more to our ever growing list of must - see - before - we - die locations. I love to ask fellow travelers where their adventures have taken them, what their favorite place was and where would they eat if they happened to return. Instagram has also given us way too many ideas for future trips. The list just keeps getting longer, but for our anniversary, Chris helped me check off a location that had been on my 'Bucket List' for as long as I can remember. 

The Greek Isles - Mykonos, Greece

Mykonos is known as the island of the winds, and I have always been enamored with the ancient white washed homes accented with a blue almost the same color as the surrounding ocean. In my mind, Mykonos screamed romance. Chris was more interested in the Greek mythology (you don't remember reading about Zeus battling the Titalns and Hercules killing big-ol giants? Yeah, me either!) than the pretty buildings and fancy (expensive), waterfront cocktail bars. 

We were interested for different reasons, but in the end, we both loved weaving in and out of the narrow streets, and sipping local wine and beer on the waterfront. I even talked Chris into renting a 4-wheeler and putting around the island. Once he agreed to the rental, I started asking every agency if we could rent. (Come on! Take our money!) I must have asked four or five different rental companies, and I was denied every time. Either the bikes were all rented out (lies - because there were parked all around), or I was 'too young' (yeah right), or I got no explanation, just a simple 'no.' We gave up and decided to walk down towards the water for a coffee. The bar tender laughed when we told him we were not allowed to rent a 4-wheeler. He promised that if Chris asked, we would not have any problems. Funny thing, as soon as Chris asked, we were given the vehicle, two helmets, a map of the island, and sent on our way. Guess I was the issue!

We spent most of our day at beautiful Paradise Beach, soaking up the rays and getting away from the crowds in Mykonos. We enjoyed local pastries that we bought from a sweet little man carrying a basket and hawking his delightful treats. After several hours, we hopped onto our 4-wheeler and tried to put-put back into town. We tried and tried, and couldn't get it to start! Oi! After about 30 minutes of trying, I called the company from a beach bar phone, and we waited. After a jump, we finally did make our way back into town, but I think our 4-wheel days are over. Next time, we will opt for a Jespa. 

Here's a few pictures! Hope you're loving your summer!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message and like our little journal/blog! If you have specific questions, please email us at chrisandlana@gmail.com

Do you have a blog too? Tell us about it in your comment, and thanks for stopping by!

The McCoys