7.2.12

Serbia or Siberia?!

Two feet of snow - St. Theresa's Subotica, Serbia
I just laugh when I look outside these days! How optimistic (and misinformed) I was to assume that the "worst" of winter was over; 2+ feet of snow remind me that winter has only just begun! Right now, the temperature is 19 degrees Fahrenheit (-7 C), and the forecast is promising colder weather to come. 

When we started announcing that we were moving to Serbia, most people looked at us with confused and worried expressions. Once they got over the initial shock of our statement, their first question was always something like this: "What in the world would possess a company to move ANYONE to SIBERIA of all places?! At least Lana can speak Russian, but holy moly that's a move! Just make sure you only bring warm clothes, I hear it always snows up there." We would casually clear up the misunderstanding and reassure our friends that the weather in Subotica, SERBIA was very similar to the weather in Salem, Oregon (Lana's hometown). 

And after all, Oregon has mild weather! It would feel just like "home."

Of course, this year is one for the record books. . .  

Oregon is experiencing a rare, February heat wave. While everyone in the Pacific Northwest is biking, running, and skipping around town in t-shirts and jeans, people in Siberia - er, I mean SERBIA, are wearing as many layers as possible to brave the elements. It is freezing!! People have not seen this amount of snow in Subotica for 20+ years. It is truly record breaking, and the city cannot keep up with the continually falling snow. Needless to say, driving is an obstacle course.

Maybe I should have let everyone think that I was indeed moving to Siberia . . .

I am beginning to wonder if I was tricked!

This is what I think Siberia would look like!
After the first big snow, I told Chris that we MUST dig our car out of the snow. Imagine a foot of snow freezing the car into place?! We could be stranded! I had lived through a catastrophic ice storm in Kentucky, and I managed to break my windshield trying to get the frozen snow off of my car. I didn't want to take any chances in Serbia.


We suited up and started using our arms to shovel the snow off of the car. In this picture, it looks like the car is getting ready to swallow Chris up!

Subotica, Serbia City Hall in a Winter Wonderland of snow!
When you're stranded in the snow, you may as well get your snowboarding clothes on 
and go outside and play! 
I hope you are all staying warm and cozy!

6 comments:

  1. aww Lana, I am so enjoying the pics, I LOVE snow and miss it so much. Glad you are taking well to it, and doing the best you can. Amazed that there's so much snow, and you're correct - it feels like spring here in Oregon...so odd!!! Love and miss you both!!

    Aunt Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I found your blog on Expat Blogs. I can't believe how much snow there is there! We had about a foot two years ago and couldn't get our car out of the driveway but that is crazy. I love your second to last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say the snow is going to melt next week. Good or Bad news? You Decide! :D

    -A
    http://canadianinserbia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, Emm! I could not believe the snow either! And -A, it is great to finally see it melting. . . although every sidewalk you walk down is a slushy mess now! Hahha, I cannot decide which is worse - snow or slush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I bumped into your blog and I like how you write about Subotica (my hometown) and all Serbian traditions. And yes, I recognize some stufff you are saying:eg. Serbia or Siberia-how many Amricans mix up those two :0) funny! I've been to States and had to clear up the misunderstanding about SERBIA/SIBERIA and have many american friends come visit me here asking about our traditions that you explained so well.
    And about the little craft shop 'Creatinas' I wish, at least, I have that here in Sombor, there's no craft store here, so often when I go to Subotica, I visit that small shop, and mostly I find everything there, well everything I need. And yes.... I looooooooooooooooove Pinterest!
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh thanks for the sweet comment! It is always fun to hear from people who have lived in Subotica! It is so great to get to really dig into another culture. We learn so much about ourselves!
      Thanks again for checking in.

      Delete

Leave us a message and like our little journal/blog! If you have specific questions, please email us at chrisandlana@gmail.com

Do you have a blog too? Tell us about it in your comment, and thanks for stopping by!

The McCoys