23.8.12

Farewell Subotica, Serbia

After a year, we are packing up our life in Subotica, Serbia. 
This packing disaster looks strangely familiar to me. Exactly one year ago, we were unpacking those very same boxes and beginning to arrange our new life in Subotica, Serbia. Luckily, our Serbian apartment was fully furnished; so only 30 boxes of personal items made the trip across the ocean with us. As Chris worked, I initially filled my days with unpacking and Serbian language studies. I self-taught myself by writing common Serbian phrases on post-it-notes and carrying those little, yellow helpers all over town.

Shortly after we moved, we met Marko, Lela, Sanela, Darko, Zoran, Sladjana, Danijela, and Nikola. They were warm, inviting and interested in our story; because of their acceptance, we started to feel more like friends than foreigners. Eventually, I started teaching private English lessons, and that provided me with some structure as well as flexibility in my schedule. With my first paycheck, I bought a juicer, and that juicer started every day with me. When Chris was able to take time off of work, we traveled! It's our dream to see as much of the world as possible, and we tried to make the most of our first year in Europe.

After a year, we had friends, we could communicate and we were generally comfortable in Subotica, and then - just like that, we were back to square one. Chris' company decided to transfer him to Belgium, so with that decision, our dusty packing boxes found their way out from under our bed. For a month, we sorted and packed and cleaned and said tearful goodbyes over many cups of coffee. As I reflect on our year in Serbia, I have to say that I'm glad it was hard for us to say goodbye; those emotions prove that we deeply invested in Subotica. We were more than two strangers passing through; for a year, we were immersed in the Serbian culture and we fell in love with Her people. This is the adventure that we signed up for, so while we're excited to call another country "home,"we will always have a special place in our heart for our first European home - Subotica, Serbia.

Just a few pictures of our last couple days in Subotica:

My Serbian bike is making the trek to Belgium - numbered and ready to go!
Last dinner with our awesome friends in Subotica (we are missing Danijela).
In front of the Subotica library. 
My last palacinke (crepe) at Boss Caffe. This was my favorite dessert. 
A sweet goodbye gift from our friends.
Wearing our American flare for the final farewell. 
We will miss you so much!! You are all invited to Belgium!
Last glimpse of Subotica's City Hall. 
When we moved to Serbia, we had no idea what to expect. A lot of people grimaced when we mentioned where we were moving, and even more people asked us to point Serbia out on a map. Chris and I moved without any judgements or expectations and we decided to make the most of our time in Serbia. I found a quote by Aldous Huxley that touches a cord in my heart, "To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries." 

Next stop on our little adventure: BELGIUM!!

Thanks for reading!!

17 comments:

  1. what an exciting move! i love belgium :) good luck with everything girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck as you set up life in Belgium. We're heading to Brussels on Wednesday and can't wait to explore!

    (By the way, your black dress up top is so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we love Belgium - but we are in the very beginning stages of settling in. Hope you have a blast in Brussels. If you get a chance to travel at all, get to Bruges! That city is like a fairytale!

      Delete
    2. I have heard great things about Bruge. We're doing the F1 race on the weekend so we'll only make it to Spa. Next time!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the big move! What a whirlwind year. We have dear family friends that live in Belgium and absolutely love it, so I'm sure you'll fit in in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading sweet friend! Your journey has been so inspirational! I really appreciate you!

      Delete
  4. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your life in Serbia, good luck on your new adventures! SRETNO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana I miss you so!!! I hope you have an equally wonderful experience in your new home. I am so grateful for your boxes because I think we might have a house!! I don't want to get too excited; we will know on Sunday
    Love to you
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Natalie!! Great news! I want to hear all about it soon! Ps - let's be Skype friends.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad I got to visit you, Chris and all your awesome friends in Subotica! Now it's on to another adventure... Expect me and Mom to visit you guys in Belgium. Love and miss you two! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isnt it always to hard to say goodbye to places that became home so quickly? Before I moved to Australia 10 months ago, I lived 4 years in Switzerland and it was so hard to say goodbye to all my friends there... But new adventures await, right? Happy move to Belgium, I am sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you eventually paid before leaving for that sheep you massacred!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did have to pay for that - and we had to fix our car as well. :)

      Delete
    2. Good to hear that, because someone said you didn't.

      Delete
    3. Strange someone said that - yup, it's all sorted out. The car was not ours either so we don't have if anymore. Thanks for reading. Cao!

      Delete
  9. Someone post it on the blog of that weird Canadian guy who's struggling in Subotica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one haunted by the even weirder guy "dan dan".

      Delete

Leave us a message and like our little journal/blog! If you have specific questions, please email us at chrisandlana@gmail.com

Do you have a blog too? Tell us about it in your comment, and thanks for stopping by!

The McCoys