2.8.11

Wine and Serbian Hospitality.

Serbia is a Country Full of Hospitable People.

Before we arrived, Chris told me to expect this, but to experience it first hand is quite beautiful and humbling. Everyone is willing to give you a smile and a "Cao" as you pass on the street - but even beyond that, complete strangers will go out of their way to help. Several times I have been lost in Subotica, and people will leave their jobs at banks, cafes or hotels to walk me to my desired destination. I had one lady yesterday say to me, "I am working right now, but don't worry, I would rather help you find your way and be comfortable in this city."

So on the same note, this past Friday we were invited to a wine tasting with some friends Chris had met in Senta. (Senta is the city that Chris works in. It is about 50 minutes from Subotica.) Leading up to the evening, Chris kept reminding me that I would simply adore David, and that the two of us had so much in common. David's job is essentially to market and sell Hungarian wares in Serbia and he spends most of his time in Belgrade although his home is Senta. David's main focus and love is Hungarian wine - and especially red wine. Once Chris told me this, I knew that David and I had the potential of becoming best friends.

I didn't know what to expect when meeting David and Attila, but with three brief kisses (the customary greeting in Serbia) I instantly felt welcomed and at peace. The apartment was smartly furnished, and the table laid with beautiful glassware, fruit, a cheese assortment, chocolate, bruschetta, and lovely red wine. Without missing a beat, David launched into a description of the first wine. As he used vivid and flowery words to explain each wine, I found myself trying to soak it all in. Below are pictures of our evening. Thank you David and Attila for your lavish hospitality; I don't think you know how much of an impact this evening had on my first impressions of Serbia. I hope to take a little bit of your generosity with me everywhere that I go.


The spread that was so elegantly prepared for us.


This was one of my favorite wines, and we tried it first because it is fairly lite. It is a Cuvee of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir. I love Pinot Noirs, and this wine seemed to take on more Pinot flavors.


I was always told to stay away from Hungarian white, but David insisted that he could change my perception with just one wine! Well, he certainly succeeded with this lovely, organic Muscat from Hungary.


The Polgar Cabernet Sauvignon was of course a little heavier than the first red, and in my opinion it was a little spicier. This is also a Hungarian wine.


Our lovely hosts! Attila is on the left and David on the right. They are holding the final red that we tried, and was it every special! This wine was Maurer Szeremi Cabernet Sauvignon, and only 1000 bottles are made of it every year. Most of the bottles are saved for government dinners, and David only got a bottle because he personally knows the wine maker. We felt so lucky to enjoy this wine with them!


Here we are - showing off the same bottle of red.


As you can see, we really loved everything! Again, thank you David and Attila! When you get to Subotica, it is our turn to host you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message and like our little journal/blog! If you have specific questions, please email us at chrisandlana@gmail.com

Do you have a blog too? Tell us about it in your comment, and thanks for stopping by!

The McCoys